Sneezes Be Gone! Understanding Functional Medicine For Allergies
Are you one of 50 million Americans suffering from allergies? Whether you suffer from itchy eyes, incessant sneezing, endless coughing, or all of the above, allergies wreak havoc on those unlucky enough to have to deal with them. The causes of allergies vary, making it difficult to predict who, when, and why allergies strike that way. Thankfully, there are ways to find relief.
Functional medicine for allergies helps allergy patients by identifying the root causes of an allergy and developing a personalized treatment plan. This is revolutionary because not only can a functional medicine doctor help you manage your symptoms, but they’ll help you improve your overall health and well-being.
At Spectra Wellness Solutions, we know this from experience. Today, we want to share how a functional medicine approach to allergies provides a different way to handle allergies, resulting in better health and less of that itchy, scratchy, coughing, and sneezing discomfort that plagues millions of Americans.
Understanding Allergies & Their Triggers
Allergies occur when the immune system overreacts to a foreign substance—such as pollen, dust, or certain foods. When the immune system perceives a harmless substance as a threat, it produces an antibody called immunoglobulin E (IgE) that triggers the release of histamine and other chemicals in the body. This can cause a range of symptoms—including sneezing, itching, hives, swelling, and in severe cases, anaphylaxis.
Common Allergy Triggers
Common allergy triggers include pollen, dust mites, mold, pet dander, certain foods, insect stings, and medications. While some allergens are easy to avoid, others are more difficult to control, such as pollen during allergy season or mold in humid environments.
How A Functional Medicine Approach To Allergies Helps Identify Triggers & Sensitivities
Functional medicine practitioners use various tools to help identify a patient’s allergy triggers and sensitivities. At Spectra Wellness Solutions, we use cutting-edge testing to identify the root cause of our patient’s health issues and have found that a functional medicine approach for allergies is especially effective.
By identifying the specific triggers and sensitivities causing an allergic reaction, you’ll benefit from healthcare beyond symptom management which only suppresses the problem.
Why Consider Functional Medicine For Allergies?
As we touched on earlier, functional medicine takes a holistic approach to allergy management, focusing on understanding the root causes of an allergy rather than just treating the symptoms. Understanding the underlying factors causing an allergy allows functional medicine practitioners to deliver an effective personalized treatment solution for your allergies that goes beyond common allergy treatments that only address symptoms. A root-cause approach means a personalized functional medicine for allergies treatment plan, increasing the chances that your allergy symptoms may not return.
Functional Medicine Approach To Managing Allergies
Let’s look a little deeper into the components of a functional medicine approach to managing allergies.
- Personalized Treatment Plants: No two people are alike, and no one-size-fits-all approach to allergies can offer the relief you deserve. We keep mentioning personalized treatment plans because they’re crucial for addressing your unique symptoms, triggers, and sensitivities. Your treatment plan will address biological, environmental, and lifestyle factors.
- Comprehensive Testing: Functional medicine practitioners may use a variety of tests to identify specific allergens and triggers, including blood tests, skin prick tests, and elimination diets.
- Identifying Triggers & Sensitivities: Functional medicine practitioners can help patients avoid these allergens and reduce their risk of allergic reactions by identifying specific triggers and sensitivities.
- Lifestyle & Dietary Changes: Functional medicine practitioners may recommend dietary changes, such as avoiding certain foods or incorporating anti-inflammatory foods, as well as lifestyle changes, such as reducing stress and improving sleep hygiene.
- Nutritional Supplementation: Functional medicine practitioners may recommend dietary supplements, such as omega-3 fatty acids or probiotics, to support the immune system and reduce inflammation.
- Balancing Gut Health: Functional medicine practitioners may focus on improving gut health, as the gut plays a critical role in immune function and overall health. This may include addressing gut dysbiosis, improving digestion, and supporting a healthy gut microbiome.
Getting Started With Functional Medicine For Allergies
If you suffer from allergies, seeking the guidance of a functional medicine practitioner can be an effective way to manage your symptoms and improve your quality of life. By taking a comprehensive and personalized approach, functional medicine can help you identify and address the underlying factors contributing to your allergies and provide the tools and resources you need to stay healthy and symptom-free.
If you want to learn more about functional medicine for allergies or would like to schedule an appointment with an experienced and trusted functional medicine practitioner, contact Spectra Wellness Solutions today. Our team of experienced practitioners is dedicated to helping you achieve optimal health and well-being. We look forward to working with you to develop a personalized treatment plan that meets your unique needs and goals!